Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Under Pressure

A couple of weeks ago I had my 28 week doctor's appointment. This was probably the last "important" appointment until you are born. They gave me my results from my glucose screening, and revealed that I do not have gestational diabetes. My iron levels are great (probably because of all of those cheeseburgers you have had me craving!). I got my Rhogam shot -- "like fire in your butt" the nurse described the pain. You (my belly) were measuring right on target! However, my blood pressure was crazy high! 150/80!! I freaked out when I heard that number, thinking that surely I had preeclampsia. I was so mad at myself, thinking I had caused this problem from all of the not-so-good for me food I had been eating. I didn't want you to be at risk due to my bad eating habits. They took my blood pressure twice more before I left the office: 140/80 and 144/80. My doctor decided to have me do a 24-hour urine collection to rule out protein in my urine (a sign of preeclampsia). Everything came back fine. I now have a home blood pressure monitor, and things have been fine ever since. I must have been nervous that day for my glucose results and my "fire in the butt" shot. You will learn soon enough that your mother is the biggest worry wart of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment