Friday, July 1, 2011

Your Birth

Wow, what a crazy way to start labor!  Your father and I were at our friends', Tim and Jenn's house on a Tuesday evening, because that was when we all got together to watch our Showtime shows (this time we were watching United States of Tara).  Just as the show was over, I was lying on their couch in their basement telling you (in my belly) that you could come out anytime now, that I was ready.  Seriously, not two minutes later, I heard/felt this pop!  I thought it was you kicking me in a strange spot, but as I sat up I felt something wet and ran to the bathroom.  Sure enough, as soon as I sat down on the toilet a huge gush of fluids came out, and that's when I yelled to your dad, "Um, I think we need to go to the hospital!"  Tim and Jenn leant us an old towel for me to sit on in the car, and off we went to Barnes!  

When we got there (this was at about 10:00 pm, Tuesday night, May 24th) I was afraid that they would tell me my water hadn't broken and that I was imagining it.  But, in the pregnancy assessment center they tested my fluids, and sure enough, it was amniotic fluid and my water had indeed broken.  You were on your way!  With that I was admitted, though I was still only 3 centimeters dilated and -1 station, and not having much in the way of contractions.  They started an IV, got me checked in, and we headed over to the labor and delivery department.  On our way to Barnes we had called all of our family to let them know it was happening!  Your grammy met us in the pregnancy assessment center, as did Katie, who was going to be taking care of the dogs.  

When we got into my labor/delivery room, the nurse informed me that they would be starting me on Pitocin to jump start the contractions.  I was disappointed to hear that, because I had heard such bad things about being induced with that drug.  But, I had no choice.  Boy did that medicine work its magic quickly!  Within the hour I was already 4 centimeters and really feeling the contractions.  I was so hot, even though everyone in the room assured me that it was freezing.  Your dad was so sweet and fanned me with a camera bounce for hours!  I had been in labor for about 5 or so hours when I asked for an epidural.  I had become quite nauseous and was having difficulty making it through the contractions with just breathing techniques.  I was disappointed about this too, I was hoping that I could get further along before asking for an epidural, but the nurse told me that most people asked for one at about this stage (4 or 5 centimeters).  The epidural did not hurt at all, and about 20 minutes later I was feeling pretty good!  At around 8:00 in the morning (May 25th), it was about time to start pushing, however, the doctor who was going to be delivering you, Dr. Stephens, had a surgery to do.  She checked me and assessed that I could wait on the pushing for at least another hour while she did the surgery.  Aaaaah!  More waiting.  But, as soon as she came back it was time!  

There were so many people in the room -- nurses, nursing students, doctors, doctors' residents and fellows, and several other medical staff, as well as your father and me of course!  Your dad and a nurse held my legs while I gave it my all to push you out.  Your heart rate kept decelerating after each push, and the Doctor started threatening that she might have to use the vacuum or move on to a c-section if I didn't get you out in the next couple of pushes.  Well, that was all she had to say, because about two pushes later, you were born!  A very healthy, beautiful boy born on May 25, 2011 at 10:52 am!  You were so beautiful and healthy you were given an Apgar score of 9!  That is on a scale of 1-10!  My perfect little guy.  Your dad cut the cord, twice!  He wasn't at all squeamish.  He cried with happiness.  I think I was too tired to realize what had just happened (we hadn't slept in 24 hours).  

All of your grandparents were there in the waiting room, eagerly awaiting permission to come and see you!  They were so thrilled.  Everyone "ooohed" and "aahed" at how beautiful you were.

We stayed in the hospital for 2 nights.  The hospital stay was very pleasant.  We had a lot of people coming by to help us and teach us different care taking skills, such as breastfeeding and diapering.  At night your dad slept in the hospital room with me, but we sent you off to the nursery to be looked after until you needed a feeding.  This was a great decision, as it was the only way we would get any sleep!  You had many visitors in the hospital: Grammy, Grumps, Grandma and Grandpa Jackson, Aunt J'aime, Uncle Matt, cousins August and Josie, Uncle David, Octavia, Delphi, Faith, Jenn, and Katie!  You are so loved already!

On Friday, May 27th, we got to take you home!  We stopped at Wendy's on the way to pick up lunch.  When we got home we introduced you to Escher and Wembley -- they were interested in smelling and licking you quite a bit!  That evening your grandparents came over and brought us food.  We were so exhausted come bed time, but you weren't going to let us sleep that night -- or many nights to come!  That's okay, we love you, and are so glad you are here, safe and sound!

No comments:

Post a Comment